If you’ve never surfed before, we highly recommend that you hire a surf instructor to take you out into the ocean for your first few times surfing. Sometimes, new guests at the Blue Surf Sanctuary Hotel ask us, “Do I really need to take a surf lesson with an instructor or can I just rent a surf board and try surfing on my own the first few times?” Our answer is always
a loud and unanimous “NO” and here is why:
1. Most importantly, surf instructors are there for your safety. Surfing is an extreme sport that is very challenging and exhausting. The ocean is very dynamic and there are a lot of things happening at the same time. If you have an experienced surf instructor with you when you are learning to surf, their experience and their ocean awareness will ensure that you stay safe
and that you have fun the whole time that you are in the water.
2. Having a local surf instructor with you will also ensure that you go out for your lesson at the right time, during the right tides and in a safe area for beginners. Local surf instructors have intimate knowledge about their home break and they can make sure that you surf at the right break with the right conditions.
3. A surf instructor will help you to be prepared for your surf lesson. They will tell you what you need and they will help you to choose the right surf equipment for your skill level. They can help you choose the proper board, teach you how to attach the leash, how to make sure that a leash is attached properly and they can even teach you how to apply wax to your board. Too many times have I seen people struggling to learn how to surf on a short board. A surf instructor will help you select a longer board that is best and easiest for you to learn on which means that you will have the most fun and most success when you are surfing for your first few times.
4. A surf instructor has great wave knowledge and they are able to read the waves very well. They will know which waves are best for you to ride and they will help you to be in the best possible spot to catch these waves.
5. Most beginner surfers do not know the basic rules of surfing. There are rules for this sport, a list of surfing etiquette, that exist to make sure that everyone has fun and stays safe in the water. A good surf instructor will explain all these rules to you before you even go into the water.
6. Surf instructor will teach you all about dangerous rip currents. They can help you learn how to see them, how to avoid them and what you should do if you get stuck in one. Rip currents can be very dangerous and this knowledge that a surf instructor can pass on to you is very valuable and it can even be life saving. A lesson about rip currents is one that you will carry with you throughout your entire surfing career.
7. Finally, a good surf instructor can give you important pointers throughout your lesson that will teach you what you can do to improve, how you can catch more waves and how you can gain more speed down the line.